Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's been a while I know...



The only way I could bring myself to write was over a root beer float.  Really, I've been craving one of these all day, and it's not that I don't want to write, but I am a little supersaturated on the screen time front. And Nick has been doing an excellent job on the blogging front.   He's kept you all up to date and is so funny (even my mom thinks so!) while he's at it.   Between writing lesson plans and looking up recipes for pear tarts and pizza dough and watching almost all of the episodes of The Wire, I have had enough of my computer these days.  I never thought I'd say that, I love you my laptop, lately though, I have been gracing the keypad a lot and my eyes could use a break.  But not yet, I owe you some words.

School has been good, better than good actually.  Kids are making steps more forward than back, and I feel like I am continuing to get a grip on what my role is.  Not without pain and disappointment though and I was reminded of it first hand the other day, when out of the blue one of my dearest students transfered.  No good bye, no good luck, no gathering of her belongings.  Just gone.  Apparently, her mom "gave" her to her step-dad, who lives a good distance from school, so she is transferring.  And that's it.  I crossed her out of my grade book with some sadness.

Yesterday, among many wonderful things that happened, I (successfully) baked a french pear tart.  It was the highlight of my morning, and the sense of accomplishment I felt was so grand!  Especially after we tasted it.  Bake your own french pear tart from this recipe, and read this food blog too.  FYI, I recommend poaching the pears in sugar and lemon juice and then boiling down the liquid to make a delicious syrup!  I added some mango puree to mine and it is divine.

Behold pear and almond (filling) heaven. 

After we dug in, and then had some more. 
I didn't mean to write only about food, but it's the small pleasures right?  I do have to mention that I am preemptively missing The Wire, and wishing I'd watched it so much slower.  Sadly, I have 1 episode left.  This series has carried me this Chicago winter, and I doubt there will ever be another series like it, that can transport me to another place and time, that causes me to change my vocabulary, and to wonder about the "corner kids" in my current neighborhood.  Please, make a recommendation if you can, but it's unlikely that anyone can live up to McNulty and Stringer Bell, Prop Joe and Bunk.  I love all of it.

Pocketful of Names, by Joe Coomer, is the other, thankful, distraction I am having.  I have been enveloped by this somewhat epic novel that takes place on the coast of Maine.  Those that know me well know about my ocean obsession.  The idea of living on an island, feeling the tides and the seasons, and being surrounded by water is so appealing.  I would drink black tea with milk and have shortbread everyday.


Nick has recapped our quick Spring Break trip so well, I don't need to say much, but I want to leave you with my favorite picture of Nana and I taking in the sun at the Merriweather Post Estate.

Nana is one of the most amazing women I know. 


It's time to get ready for tomorrow, to set out my clothes, and to print my lessons and homework assignments. 

I promise I won't be a stranger. 

1 comment:

Lynn said...

We also loved The Wire, and it is true nothing can compare. But if you're looking for another tv series to get you through next winter, try Dexter, or Big Love.