Monday, May 16, 2011

Grutz says, "Offing Ducky #1. How many more?" or "So let me get this straight, you're not a one trick pony?"

Dead ducks tell no tales.
Ducky #1.  You served us well.  You won't be forgotten, but how many will follow you into the sunset?
I had a dog, Daisy, an elderly whippet, when I was in high school.  She was very, very, very low key.  Sure, if given the chance she'd race down the road like a bullet, but otherwise, she slept a lot.  She didn't 'fetch' or 'chew on things' (like a blanket I just caught Arnie munching! Arg!).  Arnie, as I've just described, is not like this.  I was hoping that copious amounts of exercise would reduce any destructive behavior.  Other than the odd blanket, ahem, Arnie has ravaged a rubber kong chew toy and Ducky #1.  So within a week he's mangled or destroyed two toys.  I'd like to think this will not be a lifetime trait for him.  Hopefully he'll slow over time.  As much as I don't want to crunch the dollars on weekly/monthly toy purchases, I have to remind myself that it's an investment.  A few bucks here and there is much better than a couple hundred on furniture or rugs, etc (which, aside from the hole he just chewed in the blanket, he's got a pretty clean slate).

Any dog owners out there have any information/hints at 'chewing issues'?  He hasn't done anything too terrible, but I'm noticing as he's exploring his boundaries and limits he's 'testing' his teeth on things here and there.

Patience?  Seriously?  I'm an American.  I have no idea what 'patience' means.

Our friend Bobby Redwood (who, with friend Ross, attempted to canoe down the Mississippi before the Coast Guard closed the river a week or so ago, but that's another story!) has a great dog, Rusty, who we got to know when we sublet from Bobby.  Now Bobby is a heck of a guy and has a heck of a dog.  Rusty is well trained and very mindful.  This was our last experience with a dog and it's hard not to project onto Arnie.  I want him to do all the dozen plus tricks that Rusty can do.  I want him to be mindful off the leash like Rusty.  All the books I read have commands that can be learned in an afternoon, but only mastered over months.  We've had Arnie for just over a week.  He's made great strides and is very mindful.  But it's going to take time.  I guess I will have to be patient. (Though it's un-American (wink)).

Well, Arnie and I are off to the pet store, to get some more toys and a Ducky #2.  Don't worry, I'll keep documenting the demise of ducks.  Any guesses how many he'll go through?

I'll get to birthdays later.

2 comments:

Ciaran said...

Fantastic post! :). Rawhide bones Nick. Big, bulky, and something he will have to work on for a while. Needs to be raw hide though so he gets the substance from it. Hopfully it will prevent him from wanting to chew on anything else. It does pass. Roxie used to chew on the furniture. She grew out of it. :). Good luck with the ducks!!
Ciaran

Nick said...

Thanks Ciaran! Arnie didn't seem to impressed with raw hide. Until I smeared a little peanut butter into the grooves and crevices. Perfect!