Thursday, May 19, 2011

Belated highlights of weeks past: shotguns, joints, clouds and Arnie


It’s been a while, but I feel compelled to write.  
Heard on the street in Pilsen a few days ago:
One guy in a car said to another guy in a car.  “Hey, do you have your shotgun?”  “No, I left it at home.”  
And I just kept walking.  Arnie, my trusty evening walk companion was by my side and there were kids screaming and running around (as is common on warm evenings in Pilsen) so I wasn’t too worried.  It is, on the contrary, a little worrisome how nonchalantly I was able to let the thought of shotguns go in one ear and out the other.  I was reminded of the comment today, when again with Arnie, was sitting on our stoop (not the part covered in bird poo, but a little spot to the left that is clear) and a big jolly guy getting dropped off by a workers van waved a little bit to me, and I waved back in my attempt to be neighborly.  Clearly the return wave was his in, and he said
“Want to smoke a joint with me?” (Note: I have never seen this guy in my life).  I responded, “No, thanks.”  He said, “How about your dog?”  “Uh, no.” 
These are the characters that we live with.  They color our life in Pilsen, which may be coming to a close.  The plan right now is to move when our lease is up (end of July).  We’ve been craving a backyard or a porch or a deck, some/any kind of exposure to the outside, and it’s true, sometimes the “characters” in the ‘hood are a bit too unsavory, even for me.  There are some other reasons too, but we’ll get to that later. 
It's been a great few weeks with me, Nick and Arnie.  Nick's been doing a fabulous job with chronicling our life of late, but here are some of my highlights. 

We had an apocalyptical storm that served up beautiful clouds and wind. 


And, it was not without thunder and lightening late into the night.  I sat by the window on our spiral steps until the rain got too strong and started getting me wet.  The warm wind felt amazing and I swear I transported myself to my favorite beach in the world.  Meanwhile, Arnie made NOT A PEEP!!!
I've been imagining the feeling of the waves and the sun on my face at Sunset Beach, NC, and I am scheming together some way to make a vacation there this summer.  It's not really in the cards yet, but I don't think I can go without.  My family's been going there for years, and it is my beach home. 


Back to the pup: Arnie is a fun loving guy, who wouldn't want to be his friend?


"And I sit nicely too."


At school, we had a stellar career day.  Dr. Zid's (my chiropractor employer of 3 years), sent his  partner Dr. Bryan, who was awesome.  We have some future chiropractors in our midst! 


Nick mistakenly left his newly mended patch over patch pants out for me to photograph when I got home the other day.  No matter what I say, new pants are out of the question.  How many patches are on there?  How many times can you patch a patch? I love the thriftiness, the mending skills, and the intention.  I am however, very tired of looking at these jeans and I think the next time they are left out, might be their last.  Watch out Nick, if you're not careful, a victory walk to the garbage is in store.  

And here is the mender, dog trainer, tuna melt maker extraordinaire.  It looks like he's serenading me with his plucking skills.  But... 
Don't be fooled!  These tunes are for dogs ears only. 


With love, Carleen

1 comment:

Ciaran said...

Nick does have some major plucking skills! They're plucking fantastic!!! ;P