Monday, December 12, 2011

41 weeks

There are only so many times I can check my email, and delete the page of spammy messages.  Only so many items I can launder, times I can sweep the floor, and vacuum the throw rugs.  I've watched 5 episodes of Friday Night Lights, Nick even got sucked in last night.  Cuddling with the dog is great, but at this point I wish I had a baby in my arms!  I've exhausted the google image searches for other ladies at 41 weeks.  Thankfully there are tons of blogs that chronicle over-due babies and their birth stories, which I find incredibly comforting.  I am fine, just anxious, and can't shake the feeling that I am wasting my 12 weeks off from work.

41 weeks seems to feel a lot like 40 weeks. Mildly more uncomfortable, majorly emotionally drained!

While I am thrilled that overdue babies are sometimes big and chubby, I don't know how thrilled I am going to feel at 10 centimeters!  Thankfully, a word of wisdom from my mom came the other day.  I should preface this by saying that of my 4 siblings, my mom swears that she had no pain, just pressure when giving birth (naturally).  My friends say that this is the selective memory talking, and that birth while manageable, is not without pain.  The other day during our daily phone check in "how's it going?  any contractions?"  "I'm fine, no changes." She reminded me that contractions won't feel like pain.  Maybe this is her mothering instinct coming out and trying to protect me from the inevitable, but I know her, and she was actually being serious.  She says it feels like pressure, and waves, riding the waves in the ocean, sweeping through and moving out to sea.  Mom is peaceful, and centered, and knows herself, so I am apt to believe her, and hope that I can have a similar experience.  Perhaps just knowing that this kind of birth experience is possible is enough to enter into it in a calm and full way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love you dear one...
love you three...mum

Anonymous said...

That kind of birth experience IS possible!