Thursday, December 8, 2011

40 weeks, 3 days

We are still here, we are still pregnant.  I'm trying to get peaceful with the idea that it could still be potentially 11 more days. Yesterday I had an appointment with the midwife, and I was 1.5 cm dilated and 70% effaced.  Truthfully, I was hoping to show up and for her to say something like, "wow!  I can't believe it, you're already halfway there, you're going to have this baby today!" Alas, this did not happen, and I was mostly disappointed that I wasn't further along.  Today I had my non-stress test, which is basically where they strap you in to a fetal heartbeat monitor, and a contractions monitor and you sit for 20 minutes, watching the heart rate jump around.  They are looking for a variation of at least 20, and then the heartbeat has to stay up for a certain number of seconds.  I guess variability signals stressless environs for the babe.  We passed with flying colors, and got another proclamation that this is indeed one active baby (hence LW2 for those of you who remember).   Today was a good day because I didn't have too much idling time.  I dropped Nick off at work, went to the Oak Park Whole Foods for some labor stimulators (evening primrose oil and red raspberry leaf tea), made it to the Post Office to mail off some thank you notes, and then got to the 9:30 appointment with time to spare so I had chai and a biscotti and read some more of an amazing new book (The Postmistress by, Sarah Blake).  Dear friend Kristina and roly poly adorable baby Gus came over with soup, salad and bread for lunch, a delicious and delightful way to spend the afternoon.   I would be in a much different anxiety boat if not for having close friends around to play the parts of listener and commiserator.   Thank you.  

Arnie on the other hand was so jumpy, and I was so nervous that he was going to scratch Gus with his long toenails (which are badly in need of a clipping) that he had to be in the guest room for most of the visit.  Thankfully he calmed down in the "time out" and was much more civilized a few hours later.   Unfortunately, he is still a dog, and he demonstrated that on our walk this late afternoon, when he chomped on a whole sandwich in a plastic bag.  He selectively knows the"drop it" command, and this time he opted out.  He literally swallowed a whole sandwich in a ziploc bag.  The whole thing.  I could not get my hand in his mouth fast enough.  You would think we were starving him!   Which we are not. But from now on, I am going to make sure that he is completely satiated on our walks because it is too maddening to see him eating garbage, despite how delectable it looks to a dog. 

Leaving the midwifes office today, she said, "hope to see you soon, and not at your next appointment!"  Me too!  I hope that's the case.  Let's go for this weekend.  Send big, peaceful, lofting, laboring thoughts for this weekend. 



4 comments:

Rob said...

Here's hoping the labor comes soon and all goes well! You and Nick are in my thoughts and prayers =).

- Rob

carleen said...

Thanks Rob! How are you these days? Thanks for the well wishes! Love, carleen

Lynn said...

I am obsessed with checking your blog!! Hope it happens soon... you seem in remarkably good spirits considering the circumstances. Thinking of you! -Lynn

Lynn said...

I am obsessed with checking your blog!! Hope it happens soon... you seem in remarkably good spirits considering the circumstances. Thinking of you! -Lynn