Thursday, December 15, 2011

41 weeks, 3 days.

So apparently I'm now 4 centimeters dilated and have had no contractions.  Is this normal?  I read that at 4 cm, it is considered active labor, this is definitely not active labor.

Yesterday I had acupuncture from a lady who was certain that it would put me right into labor, and Tuesday, our midwife was confident that labor was soon.  Today, our midwife (a different one, same practice), did a membrane sweep and easily "stretched" me to 4 centimeters.  And nothing, aside from the same painless tightenings and little cramps that I've been having for a while.

So, basically the acupuncture, though at the time I thought I was feeling things, didn't do too much.  And so far, the membrane sweep also didn't send me into labor.  I read that these sweeps are stimulating and can initiate labor within a few hours.  Nick went with me to the appointment for moral support, and then stayed with me because we thought maybe, just maybe this could be the day.

Instead we occupied ourselves with staying busy and holidaying our apartment a little bit more.

These are the amazing molasses cookies that my family loves.  We are on our second batch.  They are perfect with tea. 

The crafter himself, Nick is making us stockings. Since this is our first Christmas away from family and we don't have any of our own, Nick took up the job. 

I made a nice belly necklace for me.  Cranberries and popcorn hopefully will do the labor trick.  Actually, it's for our wreath, the one that I am pretending is a tree. 


Check out that belly in our newly Christmas light lit hallway! 



You might see Arnie with a red kong in his mouth, you might not.  He is so fast, he's is everywhere!



So yes, we are trying (and succeeding) to enjoy ourselves in this short time that feels like a life hiatus: can't make too many plans and can't go too far from home, and need to keep the apartment relatively neat.   The good news is that no matter what, I will be in some kind of labor by next Tuesday.  And that means that there will be a baby by this time next week.  That alone is exciting and, of course, I can wait one more week.  

This little baby is just too cozy in there.  I must have a very comfortable uterus. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you look like a million bucks..cozy uterus and all! Speedy Delivery!!

xoxox Auntie Jill

Anonymous said...

Carleen!! o man!! please pop soon!!!!! haha jk sorta..........
you look so cute and i love your blog. can't wait to meet da baby.... i think its a boy too...WAHOO COOKIES ARNIE and NICK!!!!!

Mary Wu said...

Oh my goodness, that is one of my favorite lines every "I must have a very comfortable uterus." Awesome.