Monday, September 20, 2010

Grutz says, "I am trying to break your heart."





I anticipated a bit of nostalgia upon arriving in Chicago. Though it feels like we've been away from Logan Square and all for quite some time, it's only been a couple of weeks. Chicago did it's best to exhibit those attributes that make me glad we've moved on, (trash, traffic, stench, noise, price$, cta) while only offering a small slice of all the fantastic and dynamic qualities that cause me to second guess our decision (friends, music, variety, dance, banjos, rock and/or roll (kinda, I'll get to that later)). At one point, I asked after some unsavory act of crappiness, I believe it was someone littering, "Chicago, I'm giving you the chance, but what gives?" And what happens? What divine proclamation comes my way? Blasting from a bar I was passing was Wilco's (oh the Chicago irony) "I am Trying to Break Your Heart". Is that what you're telling me, Chicago?

But not all was lost, sort of. Aside from Carleen's dancing rendezvous's, we had other reasons to travel to King Richard's realm. Back in July, day or two before I was honorably (ahem) laid off by CPS, I took the noble action of purchasing a ticket to attend a show at the Double Door to see the Charlatans UK(I assumed we'd still be living in Chicago come September). Yes, ladies and gents, a heck of a band at a very intimate bar. Now, understand that my buds and I had, over the years, attended a number of shows together having like interests in music. One such show a few years back was to be......the Charlatans UK at the...........Double Door. But they cancelled. So Saturday's show was kind of a make up of sorts for us because I've moved out of the city, Keith's moved out of the city, etc. So, we're getting the band back together* and going to have a grand time in the old tradition. But guess what? Chicago tried, no did, break my heart. The show was cancelled! Oh, vile city! Now, I know what you're saying, it wasn't Chicago's fault. But it was, if only by association.

Fine, the band was still on, with TK and Chow stepping up, and it was great having Tom join us. Next best thing was to watch the Iowa-Arizona game late, late Saturday night. It was rough. Iowa battled back, to tie it, but alas, the 'Cats proved too much. Why is Chicago mocking me so?! Certainly the Hawkeyes would have performed much better had I watch the game at the 'Stube in Dubuque rather than a bar on Division St. It makes complete sense. Utter, rational sense.

My Dad, Dan Grutz, and I at the Europa Haus and Bierstube in Dubuque before Carleen and I set out on our adventure. Had I watched the Iowa-Arizona game there, the Hawkeyes would have won 42 to -8. I swear, hand of God.
Still, it was great to see the guys and gals. And it was refreshing to be out at events and bars with the bulk of the folks being under 35. Mary Sue and Matt are fantastic and I am counting down the days until their wedding next July, and not just for the mosaic table settings we made on a rainy Saturday (see, Chicago was just laughing at me, "How 'bout a little thunderstorm, Grutz, to ruin your weekend? Hmmm, you like the taste of that?! You're a punk."). Matt took me to his work shop and we checked out some of his banjos. I was shocked at the explosion of joy I felt finding myself around tools and musical instruments. Makes me wish I would have brought along my uke or guitar on this trip.

Now we're in the Queen City of the Midwest and she, so for, is not trying to break my heart. Cincy is great. Folks are nice, there's alot of hills, old homes, and a lovely downtown. Not to mention Tom and Karen Healy, the best in-law a fella could ask for. And it's still summer here.

* Whenever Keith, TK, and I and assorted other friends get together, we refer to getting the band back together. It's an old, and dare I say, hilarious inside joke that never gets old for us, but is has for everyone else.

The "band" performing at our wedding. "This next song is off our new album, it called 'Jackson, Michigan is no place for sissies'" This NEVER gets old. Ever.

No comments: