Thursday, September 23, 2010

Good to goetta!

So much has happened in the last few days, and we've had no time to catch up.  I almost feel like making a list and letting it go at that, but now, knowing that we have some loyal followers (Nana, Matty P, brother Matt, Jane) I have a sense of duty about sharing our lives.

Well today we packed in the love.  We said goodbye to my parents this morning, we even got up early and had Goetta and Grotta with mom before she trucked off to the Montessori kiddos.  If you are one that needs enlightenment, Grotta is the vegetarian form of Goetta, a Cincinnati staple that resembles sausage, made with spices, oats and pork.   The vegetarian version is delicious, made with steel cut oats and spices: think of the spice of a good slice of sausage with the texture of oatmeal, and then fried.

Mmmm, delicious. 
All we needed was a side of cheese grits and it would have been a classic Cincinnati Healy breakfast.  Moms biscotti tops it off, and as we can all attest, it is the best.


Hello from Cincinnati Healys!  We went for a sunset walk at French Park after dinner.   I practiced droving the Subaru and the mosquitos weren't so bad, I was pretty happy. 

Nick looks disenchanted, but it really was a nice walk.
Actually, there was a small, yippee dog gnarling on my ankle and I was trying not to grimace.- Nick

Whenever we are driving, I have a strong tendency to completely nod off and today, I serendipitously snoozed as we drive by Chicago, and thought, "how appropriate."  I think I am letting go of what was, and am settling on what is right now.   It is a content place to be.

We drove on and stopped for an iced tea and a chat in Madison, WI with my buddy Matt.  It was all too short, we'd barely started crumbling the wall of mild social awkwardness that always happens when friends haven't seen each other in forever before we had to go.  But as usual after a visit, I have renewed commitment to seeing Matt and other best friends soon!  It's just so good to be around old and true friends, there is something so grounding and simple about it.  No explanations necessary, no pretensions, words aren't even needed.  Sometimes it's enough just to be with the person.

Departing Madison, we headed to Baraboo, WI, where we were showered with map assistance and highway stories about driving west, bear encounters, and drunk indians.  Jim and Jane are Nick's non related relatives, they were neighbors in Dubuque and the families have remained close since.  They've done a lot of RV and road trips around the country, and they are going to be our contact for the Buffalo Roundup in Custer State Park on Monday.  They are great people to know and because of them, the gems of hidden byways of the West are now our privileged information.

Jim and Jane and I!  They take such good care of us, we might never leave.
The Square Bar, Baraboo WI.  "Hip to be square? Uh, like yeah."- Nick
I still have a ton more catching up to do, as this post is now officially "yesterday."  We are heading out of Baraboo, towards Sioux Falls, SD.  Tonight will be our first night of camping, might be completely in the rain, but we have a new tent that promises great things.

Thanks Mom and Dad, Matty P, and Jim and Jane for making our past few days so great!

4 comments:

:) said...

I really hope you weren't involved in the flash flooding in the southern part of Minnesota while you were trying to camp.
Enjoy Custer State Park; it's really fun.
-Alex

Anonymous said...

Sioux Falls is my old childhood stomping grounds. I was raised 25 miles from there in NW Iowa. Be sure to include where you camped! There really are falls in Sioux Falls, by the way! Jill

Lynn said...

I miss you Leeners and Nick!! Lets talk soon. And, omg, that picture makes me miss the Healys too. :) Love to all of you. - Lynn

carleen said...

OMG Alex, it rained so much in Minnesota! Jill, we ended up camping near Sioux Falls, at Lake Vermillion State Recreational Area. It was a great campground, we also drove through Palisades camp ground, which had gorgeous rock formations and a roaring river. If it weren't so chilly, I would have wanted to dip my feet. Lynn, I was just thinking of you and our post-college trip. What fun, I miss those times. Miss you! And thanks all of you for reading about our adventures! Love, Carleen