Saturday, January 28, 2012

More firsts for me

This has been a week of more firsts:

First week of successful daily dog walks with Nolan in the moby wrap: Arnie is a much happier camper, and Nolan takes a nap in the moby (for about 2 1/2 hours) and I get some things done around the apartment.

Getting suited up for our Arnie + Nolan walk. 


First outing to the dr. office on my own, (translation: first time driving with a crying Nolan in the backseat without another adult to tell me he's not dying back there).

First grocery store trip with Nolan: after the dr. visit, we stopped at Whole Foods because he was asleep in the car seat, and we were direly low on certain staples.  It was mostly a win-win situation, other than the fact that I came home with more than I went in for, and didn't necessarily remember the certain staples I was planning on getting.  But with or without a baby, that is what usually happens to me at Whole Foods.

First time making dinner with Nolan in the moby and in my left arm, football carry style.  I am getting more comfortable doing things with him on me/ in my arms, and it feels great to be able to make dinner so Nick doesn't have to as soon as he walks in the door.

First time getting a week of daily showers: we have a sort of routine each night now, after Nick gets home, Arnie gets a quick walk, dinner happens, Nick has daddy time with Nolan and I get a long, hot, shower.  I even put on lotion and clean clothes, it's luxurious, and necessary for my whole self.

And the most exciting bit of firsts, first two nights in a row of decent sleep.  It's not one thing or another that seems to work with Nolan, though the consistent thing is that he sleeps best with us (either curled up  next to me, or in the co sleeper when he knows we are in the room).  And swaddling is iffy too (I was definitely premature in my swaddling love).  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Two nights in a row we got 2, 4+ hour stretches, with feeding in between.  It was amazing, I feel like a person.

And a little bit embarrassing: first time eating practically a whole package of Oreo's by myself.  I have to say, the nursing is going really well, Nolan is clearly thriving, but my sugar cravings are out of control.  I was reading a little about nursing cravings online, and it makes sense that sugar is quick carbohydrate energy, and since I've not been getting the best sleep, I do need quick energy here and there, but really, I could be snacking on cookies all day and not be satisfied.  I've also been wanting coffee a lot, and for the first time in my life, I've made pot of decaf every morning this week and it's been delicious.  Even though I know I'm not getting much caffeine, there's something really nice about a hot cup of coffee each morning, that now I am really looking forward to.

Weight/ length/ head size update: our boy is growing!  At 5 weeks he is 11 pounds, 7 ounces!  He has gained exactly 2 pounds since birth, and is 22 and 3/4 inches long.  For the record, he wore a 6 month outfit last night (though I am sure it shrank in the wash), and it was the right length.  He nursing right now as I am typing this, and just had 2 big poops!, somebody needs a new diaper!

Here are some photos of Nolan's fifth week of life:

Nolan is hanging in one of his buzz bassinets.  Today he swatted at the little hanging rattle! 


I caught a little smile sneaking out!

"Whoa Mom, did you hear what Dad said? He's so crazy..."

Here is our ever faithful protector, don't cross him. 

Check out the state of affairs in our living room.  Typical day in the life shot... 

Nolan responds to belly tickling! We thought we'd squeeze him into this (adorable, from our registry, thanks Matt and Maggie) onesie, since he won't be fitting into newborn clothes much longer.  The crotch snaps were nearly impossible! 


1 comment:

afx said...

wonderful update! made my morning. love yous