Sunday, March 4, 2012

doggie drama and car trips

This weekend we found out what happens when we leave dark chocolate kisses out. Enter Hyper Arnie, panicked me, diarrhea, black poops, and vomit in the car with lots of shiny hershey kisses wrappers.  And doggie detox.



Poor guy.  Really we are incredible lucky, and thankful for his iron stomach.  We talked with a super nice vet in Dubuque who told us that he should probably be ok, just a little weird as it works out of his system.  Of course I googled chocolate poison immediately and quickly freaked myself out with reading about toxicity and the half lives of theobrom whatever chemical.  Happily, it looks like everything will be ok with the pooch.  Maybe going through this harrowing experience (actually it wasn't harrowing for him, just for us for about 5 minutes), will calm him down and his aggression towards all things new will abate.  We can hope.

So Nolan endured his first long car ride this weekend.  We drove to Dubuque on Wednesday night, and while it wasn't terrible, there was a lot of crying, a lot of baby paper crinkling (if you don't know what this is check it out, it's been a lifesaver a number of times), and vitamin bottle shaking (he seems to like loud noisy things).  He slept for a little while, stared out a the fast moving lights, but was mostly fussy when he wasn't nursing or sleeping (we stopped once for a nurse).  We came back yesterday and this time we timed it a little better, and he slept for 3 hours! It was amazing.  He's been teaching me more about his sleep needs, and now I can predictably get him down for 2-3 hours in the early afternoon, and yesterday we learned that he will nap in the car for the same amount of time.  This makes so much more possible for us.  It's the simple things these days that get me happy!  I am foreseeing car trips and National Parks and family visits.  I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but lately my craving for nature has picked up and I cannot wait to be outside and hiking in beauty again.  We have to figure out some way to make that happen soon.

And here we have a little montage I like to call my "Three Baldies", or as Nick said, "Three wise men"... Look at how Grampa Dan's expression changes, it was pretty cute seeing them all together and Nolan was beyond enthralled.











And what do we do on Saturday nights at home in Chicago? Why, take apart electrical pencil sharpeners of course?  What else? 




Nolan was just posing with Daddy, not really touching all those greasy parts :)  But he sure was enthralled with the shiny stuff!  And for your cuteness intake on Sunday morning, Nolan is hanging in his little chair.  This lasted about 5 minutes, but was awfully adorable.



And now I am going to go dance.  Finally,  I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

JenniferJT said...

Yay, the chair emerges! Where are you dancing? How's Nick's Dad doing?

xo, JT

carleen said...

HI! Yes, the bumbo chair is out! Thanks again! I went to the contact jam at links for the first time in months. It felt great, but of course I didn't feel very strong, and now my knee joints are achy. It's really worth it though. Nick's dad is hanging in there, thanks for asking! Hope you're doing well! Love, carleen

Anonymous said...

Dearest Carleen, Nick, and Nolan,
How wonderful of you all to come for an extended visit. Perfect memories with Dad. You are all so good!
And of course, Nolan is charming. The montage of the three wise men is priceless.
Thank you for all you do for all of us!
XXOO,
Grandma TT