Wednesday, August 31, 2011

If I only had a twitter feed


This morning I had so many one liners going through my head that I was wishing I had a twitter (eek) account. 
It started with
left home at 8:15 am
@so jealous of the non pregnant hipsters flying by me on their bikes on Milwaukee
and went on to
@cannot believe it is taking me over an hour to drive 5 miles.  Already stalled out twice. 
then arrived at 9:42 am
@trying hard to not let the jadedness of my past CPS central office experiences color my current one
@fail
@it begins with the only area to park being completely full, and continues with a super long line at the counter
@submitted one paper and I’m already told to have a seat and wait, there are about 30 people ahead of me
@continue to wonder why I am so keen on working for this clearly mis-organized and failing institution, of which I can’t seem to look at anyone without seeing ineptness

@I’m teaching kids who need me, that’s why
@I am starting to listen to the number of times in the past few days that different people (and Nick) mentioned that maybe this newest issue was a good exit strategy
@I should probably just be happy to have a job, even under unfortunate circumstances
@Can’t help thinking about how nice it would be to relax and prepare for the next/ last few months of this pregnancy
@Can you believe next week will start the third trimester?  I can’t. 
@If I get out of here at a decent time, I’m going to yoga. 
@All this upheaval is giving me intestinal distress.  :(  It’s not worth the stress. 
10:21 am
@Do these administrative peons bustling about behind the counter even know about the utter lack of logic and intelligence for which they work? 

And then about 20 minutes later, I finally heard my name being called, and I feel obligated to tell you that the woman that I spoke with (for about 5 minutes) took care of my paperwork with kindness and sincerity.  She was very helpful and knowledgeable, and I ended my experience on a positive note. 


I was back at school greeting my kids by 11:25, enough time to try and re-direct their crazy "we've had a sub" energy towards a somewhat productive afternoon.  

I'll tell you about the drama that ensued while I was gone for a day and a half another time.  Believe me, it was drama, the kids were in rare form without me there, behavioral problems, name calling, older kids bullying and younger kids sobbing, sexual innuendo with a water bottle from a 4th grader, the list goes on.  Tomorrow we will have a serious conversation about substitute teacher etiquette.  

Tonight though, I am exhausted and need to organize my thoughts and grades for tomorrow. 

No comments: