Monday, September 5, 2011

Chocolate chip cookies with my tea? Yes please.

I'm gathering from the multitude of phone calls from family members that my somewhat inflammatory last blog might need some clarification.  The best was my mom last night, "Carleen, what in the heck is going on?  I just got off the phone with Nana and I can't believe you didn't call me."  I guess I should have updated on Friday, when things were semi-resolved.  So after calming my mom down about health insurance fears, I explained that my school forced/ coerced (?) CPS to give me substitute status, and my official status as a teacher will begin in a few more days.  So yes, everything (spite the substitute backpay for the past 4 weeks) will be in order eventually.  It was encouraging that the powers that be apparently worked so hard to remedy the (their) mistake, but equally frustrating and unnecessary at the same time. 

Ack.  I continue to be backed up on school work.  Is it just me or are the demands of a teacher in CPS outrageous right now?  The term "meetinged out" has been coined at my school, and other teachers from different schools have intimated the same thing.  Geez. I can't keep up.  Or maybe it is the little baby in me that is taking all my energy.  Today we are 27 weeks along, and my email tracker says this is the beginning of the third trimester!  It feels like an accomplishment, and simultaneously, my baby brain is starting to take over and get concerned that we haven't taken any classes or made a list of things we need or really done anything at all to prepare.  I'm worried because I haven't been dancing much, my yoga practice has fallen to the wayside, and I'm generally feeling not so hot in this body.   Yesterday I "gently" suggested to Nick that he read one of my pregnancy books, and about an hour later he conceded.  We are coming to this baby in different ways, I think that Nick is of the belief that babies happen, and for years our ancestors have had them and raised them and been fine.  (A dresser drawer crib is perfectly legitimate).  I am of the belief that it is happening to me (not to my ancestor), and I want to have some idea of what might happen to me, and how I might best take care of the little one.  I'm not really interested in trial and error. 

Today the pregnancy tracker email thing said that I should have already decided on what classes to take and from the little research I did on the Bradley method, all of those classes are 12 weeks, which if we started next week, would take us right up to 40 weeks.  So that won't work.  I have to figure it out soon, but I can't seem to concentrate on that because of the looming lesson planning, grading, and general re- organization of the apartment that needs to happen. 

On the bright side, my friend Julie Ann is coming over to give me a massage later, and if I'm smart, I'll scoot over to a prenatal yoga class at 5:30 today. 

3 comments:

Auntie Jill said...

I am glad CPS resolved their stupidity. Maybe, just MAYBE instead of putting you through this, they should fire the moron that screwed the paper work up? Seems like the paper pusher isn't earning his/her salary.

Don't forget your class to help Arnie adjust to the baby--hahaha--just kidding...

carleen said...

Oh Jill we can always count on you for great comments! You are spot on with Arnie, he has been regressing like crazy the past few days and we are genuinely worried! He was doing SO well lately, we thought we might be able to get away without walking and behaving appropriately classes, but I think we were wrong. It looks like all kinds of "classes" (baby and dog) are in our future. Hope you are doing well these days! Love, carleen

Anonymous said...

So happy things have fallen into some semblance close to normal!
It was lovely to see you for a bit this past weekend. So happy you got to see GG and company, too!
Tools are in my car as I type - the zero degrees of separation in Dubuque is too funny, eh?
Enjoy this crisp bit of fall!
XXOO,
Mother Theresa