Sunday, August 14, 2011

A year ago on this day

Happy Sunday morning to you!

So, has anyone seen the facebook feature that tells you what your posts were on this day last year?  It just popped up in the right hand corner of mine today.  Last year, on this day, Nick and I were gearing up for our moving sale.  We weren't sure if we were moving to a new place in the city or if we were going to embark on some kind of epic journey.  It all depended on the last few weeks of the job search, and if we could wrap our minds around heading out of town,  There was so much unknown, the uncertainty was palpable and exciting.  On that day, friends and strangers came by to look at our things parceled out on the sidewalk.  Thankfully, most of our beloved plants went to kind souls who I am sure are taking great care of them.  We recently saw a few of our plants at our friends Jennifer and Adam's house, of course they are thriving, and it was great to be reunited.  As you know, the job search of last year was fruitless for me in the short term, and we moved out of the city (albeit temporarily).  I remember my teary "last" dance class with Molly, our last meal at Small Bar (neighborhood food and drink joint), and the unending move out of our third floor apartment in Logan Square.
Hero mover husband is assessing the situation. 

We planned to do it in 2 days, but once half of the apartment was empty we realized that the truck would have to sit on the street with a skimpy padlock overnight.  The wrenching memories of 2 beloved bikes stolen were too great for me, and we kept packing and cleaning and drove to Iowa that night, arriving at 3 am.

The sobbing, continual canvasing the neighborhood, and my ensuing violent hate of the "junk truck" people began last year in Logan Square. 


In the next few weeks, we unloaded our belongings into Theresa's (Nick's mom) generous basement, we relaxed a little, explored hilly Dubuque on our bikes, bought a car, mapped out a cross country road trip focusing on National Parks and family visits, and we took off. (Click on the link to see our map.)

Oh the nostalgia!  Just looking at our map makes me want to jump up and take off all over again.  There is so much beauty out there, and it does me so good to be in the midst of it all.









The majesty and the peace that we felt during that time was remarkable and timeless.  I would give anything to be back at in the Badlands of South Dakota, Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons, the Redwoods, Joshua Tree, Arches or Zion.

As the story goes, on the way back home, we were in Nebraska, it was election day, November 2, 2010 and I got a call from John Spry Elementary School, in Chicago.  They found me on the Chicago Public School database (how I surfaced from the thousands of job seekers, I still don't know).  They needed a maternity coverage temporary teacher (irony?) from November- February.  We didn't have any plans for the winter, and we were feeling the sting of spending money without replenishment.  I got the job that Friday, and started Monday.  We stayed with great friends Laura and Tim for a week, found a sublet, and moved some of our essential things back in our Subaru.  This was the beginning of our return, only a few months after leaving.  I have re-found my dance community, I am working now as a 4th grade teacher, we have a comfortable apartment in quiet Avondale, and we are happy parents to Arnie, our demanding, loving, pointer/cattle dog mix.  The biggest surprise and joy is going to be the new baby that joins us in December.

As unpredictable as the year has been, we've been so lucky in so many ways.  I will always be nostalgic for the road, wide open beauty, and freedom to follow our whims.  I am also well aware of the many blessings bestowed on us from this place of openness that we chose a year ago last year.

There is more to say, but I've got 2nd trimester organizing, cleaning, grading, and general Sunday enjoying to do.  I'll leave you with the delight that is the first of our 12 week Angelic Organics, CSA (community supported agriculture) pickup.


Anyone know what to do with fennel? 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you roast fennel and/or put it in salads? Jill

carleen said...

Thanks Jill! I am looking into it. I am sure the vast resource of the internets will tell me what to do...
Hope you guys are doing well! love, carleen

OrangeBeauty said...

Roasted fennel and fennel gratin are two of my favorites. Especially if you have a local cheese to go on top. Perfection!

carleen said...

Thanks Kate- fennel is in our future. I'll let you know what we decide to to with it. I am sure it will be delicious!

Anonymous said...

Juice it with apples, pears, kale and cucumber. it rocks.

Lynn said...

Wow, dudes.. what a year.
I have a good recipe for chicken with fennel, I'm guessing you are not interested. :)