Tuesday, August 30, 2011

CPS struggles and the past 2 weeks

Wow, what a lot of catching up there is to do.  I don't know where the last two weeks went, oh wait, I was immersed in 4th grade, testing, data accumulation and analysis, lesson planning, action planning and the list goes on..... 

Yesterday I had some difficult news at work, and as of right now, I still don't know the outcome and I have a free day off.  It all started when I noticed that I was not paid and my email became disabled on the same day.  Apparently there was yet another administrative mistake, and I am not officially in the system.  It's a super long story, and I'll spare the details (let me know if you are curious and I'll surely fill them in) but the gist of it is that due to latent CPS rules pertaining to the hire process coupled with ineptness administratively, the staffing center doesn't know if they can pay me for the first 4 weeks of school, let alone allow me to keep my position.  It has to do with being displaced vs being a substitute, and the politics and circumstances surrounding it all.

I just can't imagine not continuing the year with my students, not to mention the time and energy I've put into my classroom.  Clearly of least importance here is the fact that CPS and to a lesser extent, my school has, perhaps not purposefully, really walked all over me in this situation.  My recourse is so limited, and my rights are null.   Anyway, maybe you are wondering about my delicate situation with a 26 week old baby kicking in me, and really, health insurance was my number one concern when I realized the ramifications of the situation.  As of now, we have 1 more day of full health coverage, and starting Thursday, we'll be Cobra-ing for I'm sure an exorbitant amount.

The headache has been immense.

I just got off the phone with my principal, who has been communicating with the labor relations lawyer to try and figure out my situation.  As of right now, it looks like tomorrow I'll be going to CPS headquarters to re-apply for a position, to jump through all of the same hoops I've already been through, just so I can be considered a "day to day sub" for the time being while I wait to become a TAT (temporary assigned teacher).  At least TAT's have health benefits.  I'll probably lose the sick days and vacation days that I accrued last year, and my maternity leave won't be covered at all, but, on the bright side, if all goes as planned (and I have zero expectations that everything will work), then we might have health coverage for the rest of the year.  Keep your fingers crossed.  GEEZ.

Add this to the craziness that has been our year.  Through this whole time though, I've made some great friends at school, and they've been super supportive.  For this I am lucky.


In other news, despite the stressful and exhaustive first few weeks, we've had some fun times too.

A few weeks ago we took Arnie to the dog beach, and he absolutely loved it. 

Man and dog, relaxing by the water. 




We also had a mini dinner party.  Mary Sue, Jennifer and Adam helped us break in our new place.  Unfortunately, the photo was taken after the delicious dinner was consumed, but take my word for it: the lake trout was amazing, and Mary Sue's perfect chocolate chip cookies were indeed perfect.



Then this past weekend we had an even bigger party!  We hosted dear friends Kristina and Paul for their baby shower.   I baked and baked, and everything turned out delicious.  I think they were happy with it, and I was thrilled with squeezing all those people into our apartment successfully!   Some of the tasty recipes can be found here : http://www.npr.org/2011/08/19/139676573/seasonal-dessert-recipes-to-sweeten-your-summer  NPR is my go-to for everything. 



Kristina's nursery theme is owls, and we had a hoot getting ready.  I ordered some owl cupcakes from my friend Beth, who has a little vegan cup/cake business.  The were so delicious.  Order some treats from Beth here: http://www.cakesbybethy.com/ 


Here is a taste of the people that were mingling about.  Kristina and Paul are awesome, naturally their friends are awesome too, and didn't mind getting cozy and comfortable in our apartment! 


And of course, when two preggo friends get together, the babies have to say hello.   Gus and LW2 say hi!

Belly kisses! 

And, speaking of pregnancy, I have one week until the third trimester starts.  How crazy is that?  This time is flying by. 

And, this day is shaping up ok without 27 kids.  So far I've slept in (until 6:50), taken Arnie on 2 walks, had a pedicure and some magic vanilla ice cream (one of the treats I made for the shower) and now, instead of worrying about my job, we're taking Arnie back to the dog beach for the afternoon.  Lovely. 




6 comments:

Paul said...

Love the pictures! ;)

Ciaran said...

Hey Carleen, sorry to hear about your career trials and the wasteful expedition in the land of bureaucracy. Remember to keep breathing my dear :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like a grand time!!!
Is CPS not just the poster child for beautiful bumbling Bul&#@it ? Maybe it is a sign from the spirits of the netherworld that Chicago does not deserve two amazing souls such as you. 'Dabnabit' all!!!!
XOXO,
Mother Theresa

Auntie Jill said...

Calm soothing thoughts to baby and Mama. But hot tempered Auntie says CPS has their bureaucratic head so far you know where, they will never see daylight. Gadzooks...that's the biggest screwup I've heard of in a school for quite awhile....and I've seen some doozies! I would say if they can't straighten this one out, I would say "adios" to Chicago and not let the road hit me in the butt on the way out of town! : )

Nick said...

Carleen, good blog.

afx said...

I'd have to agree with nick. Awesome blog. And I'M SO EXCITED about your LOVELY BABY BUMP! I'm seriously going to flip out when you have a little munchkin. love you guys.