Sunday, July 31, 2011

The weeklong move to Avondale


Alright, here we go.  It's been quite the few days here in our camp.  We filled in all of the days last week with daily trips to our new apartment.  The Subaru was a champ and safely transported us and all of our belongings to our new home.  Although it was not time efficient, we saved a bunch of money doing it ourselves.  And, to be fair, Nick did most of the moving, heavy lifting, and all around strenuous activity.  I did the cleaning, organizing, packing, and a handful of trips up and down the stairs.  

Here is the photo montage of the moving week


Our car is great.  The top and back ends are so utilitarian! 



This week involved a lot of these faces.  "Uh, Nick, I'm not sure we can do this."

And a lot of this.  I decided to take the empty room opportunity to do some dancing with Arnie.   He was all about it. 


There was also a lot of sweat, as is demonstrated by Nick's back.  We didn't pick the hottest days of the summer, but it was pretty hot, truth be told.  


One last shot of our multi use, packed to the gills, car. 



And here we have our NEW kitchen, just as the unpacking was starting


Here is the kitchen today, still needs a lot of work, but is definitely live-able. 

We have a BIG pantry.  I am loving my mason jars of grains these days. 

I don't know if you noticed, but we have a WASHER/DRYER in the kitchen.   I have underestimated the joy of this treat for my entire life until now.  I love it. 

Here are the very beginnings of a dining room.   Still in need of some furniture, and a bigger dining room table.   I found a beautiful door with glass panels in the alley and someday, Nick is going to make it into a couture dining room table for us.  

The bathroom is not very exciting, though the tub doesn't move when I step in it, which is an upgrade from Pilsen. 

In our living room, Arnie is finally enjoying the rawhide that he's been burying in our pillows and under the rugs for a few days now.   And Nick is lounging on the computer.  We have a great big couch that is in Iowa that we can hopefully fit up the stairs and this room as well.   It will fit perfectly along the fourth wall. 

The living room has a great big fireplace (with outlets in the bottom where the wood would go) and a beautiful stained glass panel.  This warms the room up a lot, and adds some character. 

This photo does not do justice to our large bedroom, but you get the idea.  On the far left you can see the red IKEA dresser we got yesterday for me.  I am finally feeling a little more organized now that I have someplace to put my clothes.  

You might have noticed this contraption on the bed.  It is a SNOOGLE (thanks for the tip Kristina!).  The Snoogle has drastically changed my quality of sleep for the better.  I lounge with it, cuddle with it, and it elevates the right parts of my body.  Highly recommend for anyone that needs extra support while sleeping.


The last room, the one that's going un-pictured is the baby room (in 18 weeks) because right now it is just full of boxes and guitars and my giant 2 headed aloe plant.  

We need a more beautiful table cloth,  cozy curtains, and some furniture here and there, but for the most part, we are feeling good in our new place.  It has good energy, the neighborhood is friendly, and there are lots of trees.  Now, if only my transition back to work will go as smoothly.  I start back in the class tomorrow, organizing and planning.  A little bit nervous is an understatement.  I am definitely having back to school jitters 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Carleen congradulations on everything! On your pregnancy- you look glowing and beautiful! And on your lovely apartment! I love the fireplace, you have a lot of cozy nights in the living room to look forward to! Are you guys in Avondale in Cincinnati?
I had a blast when I read that you have been reading Stig Larsen all summer- so have I! I have been buried in his chronicles the past month too!! Great books! I watched the first movie last week and it doesn't come close to being as good as the book.
Much love to you. I think of you all the time. We should really skype soon! Love Edda

Anonymous said...

Hey there Carleen,
Totally understand about being nervous to go back to school. This whole pregnant thing adds a lot of new stuff into the mix huh!!! Hope all is well with you. We are moving too. I will have Jason put some pics on our new blog as soon as we get there and start moving in.
Talk to you later,
Miranda Brant

The Brant Family said...

Nick, glad to hear you've moved. Feel free to come visit us down here in Oklahoma, or Missouri, or on the border of Missourhoma....To put the facts straight...we're from OK, we live in MO. Later this year, we'll skype you from our back door and you can put a little wildlife wherever you want in your home..."Look Carleen, over by the window...isn't that a raccoon? Wait, look, here on the sofa, isn't that a cute skunk?..."

But our big question is..."How much wood could a Nick Grutz chop if a Nick Grutz could chop wood?"
Jason B.

carleen said...

Oh Edda! HI! Yes, let's skype soon! I loved the Dragon Tatoo chronicles, and haven't seen the movies yet. Right now, I can only get them online in Swedish, which wouldn't do me much good. And I do sometimes wish we were moving to Avondale in Cincinnati! Alas, we're in Chicago still. It seems to be where we belong for now. I miss you too, and think of you tons, especially when I'm home in Cincinnati. Love to your whole family! Carleen

carleen said...

Hey Miranda! Good luck with your move! And good luck back to school, I am sort of dreading it, but I'm sure it will come together somehow. See you in cyberspace! Carleen