Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beaching with books: what we're reading this week

I've been meaning to write about a few more things.  Today Nick called me a chameleon based on my amazing ability to freckle.  I've decided to take it as a compliment.  

Also, number of ticks I have found on Arnie on this trip: 2.   The first one was traumatizing, the second one  only alarming.  After a minor meltdown on my part, Nick deftly removed them with tweezers by gripping the head and firmly pulling.  I did some research on the interwebs to find the removal method, and apparently some of the old protocols of burning and alcoholing are being rethought.  Thank goodness we got them out without too much difficulty.    Oh the trials of being a furry dog. 

Additionally, I've been reading some amazing books, and I think I'll start a book list, in case you're interested.  My mom is in 2 book clubs, overachiever that she is, and always has great recommendations for me.  

So far, I've read Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  This book is has thoughtful, dignified and beautiful prose and truths.  Read this New York Times article for more information.  

I am just about finished with A Year By the Sea, by Joan Anderson.  This is one of my moms favorite books, and now I know why.  It's about a woman's journey into self perception and realization through the nearness of the raw and untamed ocean.  I identify completely.  

Next up, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson.  This book comes with much preconceived knowledge and popular culture raves, and I am always up for an inviting book series to dive into.  Looking forward to it. 

And Incendiary author of Little Bee, a book that I loved, also recommended by mom.  Chris Cleave is the man behind these two books.  

And finally, I will read Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin.  I heard an NPR interview with Rankin and loved his way of discussing the mysteries of Inspector Rebus in conjunction with the Edinborough ways of life.  

And a quickie on Nick's reading list. 

Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin
The Lost Dorsai by Gordon R. Dickson
The Discoverers by Daniel J. Boorstin
Next up: Behind the Scenes at the Museum, by Kate Atkinson 

And Theresa's list:

The Shack by William Paul Young
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Barrel Fever by David Sedaris 
And she's also almost done with Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin


I wish I could read all day, but the ocean is an amazing distraction.  And my puppy is pretty awesome too.  

No comments: