Sunday, June 12, 2011

Object jealousy, Gio's and a delightful day of dancing and looking.

So Arnie is exhibiting extreme jealousy over my computer and my phone.  When I sit down to type, he sidles up to me, weasels his head under my arm and proceeds to unseat my attempt to get work done, and/or update my cyberspace friends.  He also has been known to wedge his head behind my back forcing my to get up, move, or otherwise pay attention to him.  He brings me toys, all of them, until I play.  He puts his paws on me, on the computer, on my face, and it goes on.  When I talk on the phone, if Nick is not home, Arnie will try and get on my lap, he'll stand up with his front paws on me somehow and lick my face, and paw at the phone.  It's all very cute, but it's seriously inhibiting my screen time and my communication.  Any thoughts?  Remedies?

We are having a serious conversation about personal space.  Notice the abandoned laptop. 


In other news, I found 15 bucks on a walk with him (the dog) the other day!

And, we went out to the best dinner last night, and I just finished it for leftovers.  Gio's is a special place.  (All of that was written with one hand because Arnie was forcing me to pet him with my left.  He seems to have settled a little, so I can continue my review with speed and efficiency). Gio's is an Italian deli that happens to serve amazing, wholesome food.  When you walk in, you see the counter. and the 8 or so tables that have red checked tablecloths with a white disposable overlay.
Interior of Gio's, pic found on their website. 

Nothing about it is spectacular looking but Gio's makes up for its lack of silk linens with old world charm and deliciousness. We usually go to Gio's on special occasions, New Years, birthdays, or with friends. Last night was no special occasion, we got there just before they stopped taking orders, and my Vodka Rigatoni was the best I've ever had.  Nick had Risotto with portabellos and chicken, and that too, (minus the chicken) was amazing.  We've been doing a lot of carry out lately, and last night, I just needed to get out and enjoy a rich and nourishing meal.  SO GOOD.  I really recommend this place, and I do hope that it stays exactly the same for as long as I live here in this town.  And, in case you're interested here is the list of salable items that they offer:
  1. Fresh sausage
  2. Fresh ricotta ( Chellino )
  3. Fresh pasta
  4. Homemade Giardinera
  5. Sopresatta
  6. Delicious Imported cheeses
  7. Italian gelato
  8. Lavazza coffee
  9. Tasty Cookies
  10. Chocolates
  11. Olives
  12. Different types of Olive Oils
  13. Italian Souvenirs
  14. Gift Certificates
  15. Italian bread ( fresh every day )

So, today was a busy day.  We started off the day with a lazy morning, and then all of a sudden it got nuts.

First, I walked the dog and picked up some amazing sugar snap peas from the farmers market (18th and Halsted people!).  We encountered a lot of dogs and kids, and Arnie was mostly great.  There was one dog that apparently bites other dogs when he's on leash, but is fine at the park.  Arnie let him sniff his bum, but the other owner was on him about the biting.   I am trying to work on socializing Arnie around other dogs, he is so playful, and wants to check every single dog out that he unintentionally seems to jerk me around.

And this is where it gets busy.  After the walk, I inhaled lunch (guacamole, fontina cheese, some greens, and seedy crackers), and we jumped in the car to check out a possible apartment.  It was at Wabansia and Sawyer in Humboldt park, and while promising online, turned out to be a bit of a dump.  Plus, they had cats, so it smelled like cat poo, and that just isn't something you want to start out with.

Then we booked it down to 33rd and State, to the S and R Crown Building, designed by the singular Mies van der Rohe, where I was lucky to be part of one of the kick off events for the week of the Chicago Improv Fest .  We were a part of the live exhibition in the space, audience moving throughout, interactive sculptures, and dancers improvising on a loose score.  It was really delightful.  Thank you photographer Nick for these images.







And then, after a bunch of reception citrus water and brownies and discussion. we realized we were late for another apartment date.

And this one was more promising, but not promising enough,  It was kind of perfect, 2nd floor of a 2 flat, owner occupied place, all the right amenities.... it just felt smaller than what we have now, and it's more expensive.  There are definite perks, like we would actually be allowed to have a dog... but we can't seem to wrap our minds around a longer commute (it was at Whipple and Addison) for me and more expensive place.  So help us Chicagoans.  If you know of a 2 bedroom, dog friendly place in the city, please let us know right away.  Much appreciated!

And that my friends, is the extent of the energy I have for writing.  3 more days of kids left, 1 inservice, then Cincinnati for my brothers wedding, then back for 1 day of inservice, then done with school for 6 weeks.

Goodnight! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Busy! Busy! Busy Gal! I love Gio's, too! We need to get there next time I am in town. The art/dance event looked way cool! Something else I need to see - your performances!
I have nothing to offer on the apartment front...sorry! But I will send Agnes (my guardian angel) to assist.
XXOO,
Mother Theresa

Ciaran said...

I love that Arnie is viaing for your attention. What a beautiful gift to have so much Love! :) Roxy used to do the same with me. Jump up on my lap, bring me toys, lick my elbow. She was quick to give up though, plus small enough to handle and multi-task. Mr. Grutz has been quite lately! How are things going mon frere!?