Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dance Union, market bounty and of course, Arnie is still awesome.

Oh there is so much to say.  First though, this morning in my dream state I woke to the feeling of, something amazing happened last night, but I just can't name what it was.   It was a strange warm and satisfying sensation, and I wanted to stay in my dream.  The sun streaming in to our room at 5:45am cleared out the cobwebs and I remembered why I felt so good.  Last night was Ayako Kato's first of the season Dance Union performance.   Ayako is a brilliant and beautiful dancer and friend, and she seems to always invite performers to her series who juxtapose in a lovely way.   I was grateful to be asked to perform, and Julie Ann Graham ("long time collaborator") joined me in an improvisational duet.  (Atalee Judy's company and Winifred Haun's company performed as well).  We were also supported by an alley find, a beautiful and falling apart mannequin, lovingly named Beatrice.  She informed and helped us clear up our dancing and added a strong element to the evening.  I usually don't work with props and sometimes find them to be incredibly contrived, but she seemed right for this time in my life and changed my normal patternings enough for the dance to feel more new than usual.  We danced for about 18 minutes to a musical score created by none other than my husband, Mr. Nick Grutz.   I trusted him, and it was great.  I really hope he continues to work on developing his interest in composition.  And, I will try to figure out some way of posting a link to the music on here.  Alas, I am not that technically able, yet...

Here are a few pictures of the evening.  Of course, they don't do justice to the feeling.  I felt so serene, calm and clear in my movement choices.  I felt the energy of the audience, but I didn't feel the adrenaline that usually permeates in a performance for me.  Nothing felt rushed or too long.  Everything melded. 









This is one of my favorites.  Do you see Julie Ann's hand holding Beatrice (the mannequin :).  Even her fragility seems mutually supportive. 
 Of course, almost as exciting as dancing last night is the first day of the Pilsen Farmers Market (at 18th and Halsted, 9-3 every Sunday)!  The offerings included strawberry cupcakes, fresh lemonade, greens galore, organic and grass fed meats (which caused Nick to wax profound about the monetary benefits and potential profit of raising chickens, which "you can buy for cents and sell for dollars"), and lots of other delicious things.  I, as is my usual fashion, want to buy something from everyone and support all of the local farmers and bakers, and Nick, the sometimes voice of reason, convinced me only to buy a few things that we might actually use in a timely fashion.


Here is our bounty:  delicious head of lettuce, bunch of multicolored radishes, and a loaf of multigrain flax bread. 

And this is what I did with the bounty!  
My favorite way to eat radishes is the English way: very thinly sliced on freshly baked and toasted bread with butter, sprinkled with sea salt, and of course the flavorful soft lettuce is a bonus.  This is a great fresh snack for a Sunday:  makes me feel clean and healthy.


And we can't forget the joy that Arnie brings us on a minute by minute basis.  He is such a smart, great companion, and just look that face!!!  He is the best. (Kerry, I am trying to do better with the pictures, here are a few!)






It must be said that we love the crate too.  It has eliminated our chewed up shoes and decimated trash contents.   He seems to feel safe when he's in the crate, and has been much calmer in the mornings when we come down, and when we get home from work.  It is a great tool.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Arnie's crate...and I will do my very best not to say ITYS (I told you so) just in case you didn't get my cleverness... Love you guys, including safe feeling and happy Arnie!

Auntie Jill

carleen said...

Jill you were absolutely right, and you can definitely say " I told you so!" Arnie loves his crate too. We've started using while we eat dinner as well and it is wonderful. Hope to see you soon! Love, carleen

Anonymous said...

I am pleased that Arnie continues to bring his family such joy! And doubly-pleased that your dancing is still a source of great joy. "Joy" is my word of the year - find it, grab it, keep it!
XXOO,
Mother Theresa

Lynn said...

Wish I could have been there to see you dance! Thanks for the photos.

carleen said...

Lynn, I wish you were there too! I'll make a special beach dance just for you. See you soon!!!!