Thursday, June 23, 2011

Grutz says, "Ketchup." or "Ciaran says, 'Rioting, the game the whole family can play!'"

Keeping things in perspective.

My last post may have seemed a little random (oh, and rather off my regular posting schedule) and some expressed some concern. My cousin and her family are going through some challenges. A situation that puts all the things in our lives that make us so busy and so stress or seem so important or critical in to one simple category: trivial. Family, that's one I'd put in the 'profound' category.

Something I've been meaning to do....

Arnie and I go on many walks. Lately, they've been on the soggy side. But a few weeks ago we had one of those June days that, well, was truly a June day. Sunny, mild, dry, classic. So on one of our 4-5 walks I decided to document some of the sights of Pilsen. I've been meaning to do this for some time and will continue to do so. A quick note, I am often very critical of Pilsen in this blog. Of course it is not the worst place in the world, but it's very easy to point out the negative aspects or the stinking kids across the street that shoot off fireworks every night for the last three weeks. Oh and Pilsen makes it easy. Oh brother does it ever. But I'm not going into that now, just a few pics from one of our walks.
A block from our home is Miranda's Grocery. I have a cousin by the name Miranda. Interesting. You can also spy the giant smoke stack from the coal-fired power plant, too. It's pretty bad for you and here's the data from the Pilsen Environmental Rights and Reform Organization (PERRO).

You may notice that the sidewalk is higher than the front door in photo. That's quite common in Pilsen. In the 1850's Chicago 'fixed' its drainage problems by raising the streets (4-14 feet!) and installing sewers. Those that could afford it jacked their buildings up, those that couldn't, well, many didn't do anything or just moved the front door to the second floor.
This is an interesting church facade at 19th and Peoria. At first glance I thought it was a burned out shell. But as you can see....

....it's well maintained. I'm not sure what kinds of events take place here, but it's NOT open to the public.

One of the many religious murals in Pilsen. One of these days Arnie and I will document the dozens of others.

When in Rome Belfast do as the Romans Belfastians* do.


Ah, keeping the stereotypes alive and kicking in Belfast! Ciaran's getting doughy.†
(photo:Peter Morrison/
†That's not Ciaran, an no, he's not doughy.


So my wonderful friend Ciaran is back in his old stomping grounds of Belfast, Northern Ireland. And guess what? They're rioting. I'm pretty sure Ciaran has nothing to do with it, but I'm not holding my breath. Actually, I hope you all realize that Belfast is a great town and I'd love to go back and visit. Too bad many ONLY associate the 'Troubles' with this fine city. I think it's grand that the whole island is represented here, at DiscoverIreland. Check it out. Plan a trip. Take me with.

*I wasn't too sure how to refer to natives of Belfast and apparently no one else is sure either! Here's a link the Belfast Telegraph about this phenomenon. Enjoy!

Guilty as charged.

Much like Pilsen, Arnie can, at times, get a bad rap on this blog. Now, he is amazing. 95% of the time his is utterly wonderful. And 5% of the time he acts like a dog. So I can't get upset with him when he does something less than stellar. "Oh, right, you're a dog." Such as the following, what really inspired Carleen and I to crate him was shoe destruction and his one man show of furniture ruination. I'm sure I can salvage the chair, but first the evidence.
"Oh why did I finish the wood in bacon grease?!?!" Actually, I have no idea why he'd nibble on the armrest, but like everything he does, he does it well.

Here's the repaired armrest. Notice the "I'm pretending like nothing happened" pose by Arnie. "Guilty!" I say.

Up close of the patch. I had some very, very old wood putty that needed tons of wood glue to work. I mixed the two in a container that had some dried orange paint. Result: putty that looked like carrot cake (looks much better dry). I'll be painting the frame shortly. Arnie, "What? Why are you looking at me? I don't know anything about, what? A chair?"
Lastly, a little taste of what's on deck......
Yep, that's my lovely wife, Carleen, at her brother Matt's wedding this last weekend. Priceless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love dogs that talk. Especially handsome dogs that are faking complete innocence. Actually, he is not pretending - dogs think chewing on things is what dogs do. Humans are the confused ones.
Loved the pics and love you all!
Mother Theresa

Ciaran said...

I did find it ironic that I hoped to bring an air of peace with me back from the States only to be confronted with a few nights of trouble. What can I say, you can take the boy out of Belfast...but when he gets home it's time to burn some stuff up!:)

Anonymous said...

Hello Nick and Carleen! Hope all is well with you both. We are good just busy enjoying our summer break. I was so excited to see you have a store named after me :P
I also think your dog is cute. It is probably a lot quieter than our dog that is for sure. I enjoy reading your posts from time to time. I hope you keep writing!
Miranda

Anonymous said...

Yes, correctly.