Sunday, March 6, 2011

hot and tasty and trying to live it up

So Nick is bugging me to write more: the other day he said, "you know, I've written two blogs in two days, it'd be nice if you'd do one too."  Well, I'll be.  The tables have turned.

Sunday, March 6, 2011.  I am scratching away at the desire to do more with my days.  I am in such a conundrum lately with how things stand in my life in terms of teaching, dancing, living, locating, being and for the past many days, I've been wanting to live my days more fully.  Including the tired parts, I want to be convincing and confident all the time and to spend the minutes more contentedly.  Today, we had our Sunday morning latté of On Being and The Splendid Table, and toyed with the idea of escaping to a water park in Rockford.  The 84 degree water and slides and jacuzzis was/is so enticing and I really wanted to be spontaneous and get away for a bit.  Tomorrow is Pulaski day here in Illinois, so no school for me.  Unfortunately,  Nick was the rational one, and instead we proceeded with having a regular Sunday.  Boohoo.

I went to the contact jam, as is my sometimes Sunday custom, and had one of the best dances ever.  I felt inspired and light, I got a ton of great rides and my bones were grounded and muscles strong.  I wish I had some dancing images to share, though pictures never do feelings justice.

I came home and hit all green lights on Michigan Ave and 18th street, luck was on my side.  Driving is not my favorite thing to do, and green lights keep the potential for stalling out down.  My stick skills are smoothing all the time, but I still do the gas/clutch transfer slowly, sometimes too slowly and that makes for impatient Chicagoan honking.

I came home and kissed Nick goodbye as he left to go watch Iowa wrestling.  That boy and his love for his state is never going to calm down.  I think he follows every single Iowa sport there is, even sometimes radio contestants.  Wait Wait Don't Tell Me today had a contestant from somewhere in Iowa, and he several times told me, "that guy's from Iowa, cool."  "Uh huh, yes dear, that's cool."

It was sunny this afternoon, and if we weren't going to be slipping and sliding at the water park in Rockford, I was going to try and enjoy a little of the sun and work on my Vitamin D.  I was surprised to discover that even when the sun's out, it's still really cold.  I omitted my hat in favor of a more glamorous sunglasses look, and froze my head off.  Everything was made ok though because I was walking briskly to Cafe Jumping Bean for a delicious coffee, and walking around outside is always better with a paper coffee cup in hand, filled with something hot and tasty.  I took my hot and tasty to Knee Deep, where I was thrilled to find an awesome vintage shop, chock full of things too look at and try on.  I can't really pull off all vintage, but it's nice to accessorize once in a while right?  Since a lot of my clothes are still in Iowa, I find myself wanting for something in terms of wardrobe, and I am definitely at that predictable stage in the year where everything I have seems boring and unflattering.  I also don't (didn't) have a transitional coat, a necessity in Chicago where Spring is elusive and Winter likes to say hello through April.  Surprise!  I found a really great vintage jacket that will take me through Winterspring and hopefully will ease the transition to summer when it finally comes.  My new jacket is a blue green paisley with big abalone buttons.  The sleeves are a little short, so I will be forced to wear fancy gloves, all the time. :)

I've been wanting to share two of our accomplishments from the past few weeks.  I made sandpaper letters (out of real sandpaper), and now Edgar can read!  And Nick made really beautiful candle sticks out of bannister spindles.   I love them all, but I think the blue/white one in the middle is my favorite.  Our apartment always has that romantic candle glow.


I added my feet for scale, these transport me directly to Montessori memories, and make me want to go down that path again. 

quintet

duet

soloist
You too can have romantic candle glow all the time!  Nick takes orders :)

And now I wait.  Nick should be home soon, and we are going bowling! Not really a fair trade for a waterpark, but I'll take what I can get, and bowling is fun too.  I hope I get a strike.





2 comments:

Nick said...

Ok, the guy was from Iowa City, but is wasn't Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, it was Weekend Edition Sunday with quizmaster Will Shortz. He rocked the quiz quite well. Sorry about the let down for the waterpark. It's hard to plan for these things and all, especially for Pulaski Day. So for all you out there, Happy Pulaski Day! (Tomorrow.) And my wife rules.

Anonymous said...

I am lusting after your winterspring jacket. Can we hit that shop when I come to see my fav daughter-in-law? The candle/spindles turned out so cool! You have developed a healthy sense of humor about Nick's fondness for all things Iowa. You are a saint, my dear!
XXOO,
Mother Theresa