Friday, March 11, 2011

Grutz says, "Friday is funday!" or "I (heart) unions!" or "Golly, I'm really ticked off!"

Howdy all.  I hope all of us are keeping the folks in Japan and in the Pacific in mind.  Unbelievable footage here.  And I hope we're all paying close attention to the events in Wisconsin.  Things are getting off the rails and some crazy sh!t is going down.  Maybe, maybe the right will rally around their shining star of the past, President Ronald Reagan, and start supporting unions, like he once did, remember?

"They remind us that where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.  They remind us that freedom in never more than one generation away from extinction.  You and I must protect and preserve freedom here or it will not be passed down to our children and it will disappear everywhere in the world."

Ahh, straight from the mouth of babes from the Man's mouth. (Cough,hypocrisy,cough)  Let's see, this is from 9/1/80, I was 2, almost 3, therefore, I was a child.  And now Wisconsin has shot down collective bargaining.  Roughly 30 years, a generation?  Hmmmmmm, spooky.

 As a very, very wealth teacher, let me tell you I like living high on the hog (HA!).  Sure, the states are hurting from the economic downturn over the last decade and sure, the states knew what agreements have been made with the unions over the years.  I guess they didn't plan too well.  That's ok, just take it out on us now (grinding teeth).  One thing I've learned over the years is that those that do wrong (read wealthy/connected) are rarely punished, hell, sometimes rewarded, while those that are penalized/hurt are usually the underrepresented or innocent.  How can anyone say the teachers and state employees did all this to state budgets?  Maybe no one has said that explicitly, but the action in Wisconsin are playing out as if it was the unions fault.  And the media is running with it.  Sorry, I'm upset by all this, and the Hawkeyes lost yesterday in the B1G basketball tourney.  I'm a little pissed off.  Bailout the bankers, fu¢k over the teachers.

Whew.  Calm down Nick, you're prematurely aging yourself.  Quick Nick, go to www.blackheartgoldpants.com for some quick Hawkeye lovin' to bring you to a happy place.  (It's a wonderful Iowa Hawkeye blog.)

In other news, Carleen and I went to a very entertaining dance performance last night at Hamlin Park.  Our friends Laura and Ande and many others provided us with an excellent variety of differing pieces.  The night was to showcase dance/movement therapists to, well, dance.  We also got to spend some time with our friends Paul and Kristina (WINK!).

Tonight, we'll be having dinner with friends Jennifer and Adam at Gio's.  Those that have visited us and have been lucky enough to dine at Gio's knows how delicious and special this grocery/diner is. Then we're off to the Green Eye bar to meet with our friends, Matt and Lynn, back for the weekend from Boston.  So yes, Friday=Funday.  Get out there and have a good one, for Nick (and the unions).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golly, I am really ticked off, too. Thank you for jabbing the big 'uns with the big bucks who never pay up! I am with you there, son.
Sounds like fabulous fun over this weekend! Good for the two of you.
Aunt Peg will be my roadie this coming weekend! Yahoo! She has work until noon Friday, so we will arrive in Chicago about....? I will keep you posted.
XXOO,
Mother Theresa

carleen said...

So looking forward to seeing you guys this weekend!