Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Grutz says, "The Revolution will be televised!" or "It ain't propaganda, it's just my wife's manifesto."

For whatever reason, when ever I read "manifesto" I immediately jump to propaganda.  So in reading over Carleen's last post my mind was flooded with images of a beret-donned Carleen with one fist in the air and the other grasping a flag with a birthday cake crossed with a spatula a la hammer and sickle.  I know that wasn't her intention.  But her 31st birthday will always be associated with that image.

I came away from the post reminded that life can change on a dime.  Ideas, motives, and inspirations change like the seasons, as evident of the past year.  Seven months on and it still feels unreal at times.  Luckily, I'm blessed to have Carleen with me.  She's one hell of a trooper.  1. to put up with all our changes (homes, jobs, life in general). 2. to put up with me and my crazy passions (music, Iowa, sports, attempted carpentry, IPR, Hawkeyes, Iowa, hobbies).

Well, I have to keep this one short, I have tons and tons to do today, as I spent 4 hours yesterday at the Illinois Department of Employment Service.  Needless to say, I'll be back later to spill the beans to you later.

Last note: Get off your duff and listen to Iowa Public Radio.  Great shows during the day, fantastic music at night.  If I had a nickel each time someone asked me, "Oh, where did you hear (insert totally phenomenal band here)?" and I replied, "Ah, you know, IPR." I wouldn't need to go the Illinois Department of Employment Service.  One of the gems of IPR is Backtracks, hosted by Bob Dorr (Iowa Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame inductee, no doubt!).  If you want to learn about music, the histories, the labels, the genres, sit back and start taking note.  He also hosts and produces Blue Avenue, described as show that
 ........presents old school, new generation, historic, and contemporary blues and its derivations including soul, funk, rock 'n' roll, and gospel.
Backtracks can be caught each Saturday night 7-10 central.  I dare any music fan not to come away at least slightly brighter.  And Blue Avenue can be enjoyed Sundays 5-6:30 central.  It's a crime to miss this show. Heck, all day Sunday on KUNI is boss.

Sorry, I've let dumbness run rampant.  Now it's time to get smart.  Birthday for 3/15

Phillipe de Broca (born March 15, 1933, Paris, France—died November 25, 2004, Neuilly-sur-Seine), French film director best known for his eccentric, irreverent comedies, made with enthusiasm and technical skill.  Titles include, The Man from Rio, Up to His Ears, and King of Hearts.


Now you're not dumber.  You're smarter.

4 comments:

carleen said...

What my husband didn't say is that he is a personal contact of Bob Dorr. Recently Nick received a direct email from Bob thanking him for his donation of great old music. The impetus being that while we were moving, Nick thinned his collection and mailed off a lot of music to Bob, thinking that he might be able to use it on his show. Nick is a fan of all things Iowa and music (in case you didn't know) and of course wanted to support this joint venture.

Nick said...

I wouldn't have sent some music along to Mr. Dorr if I didn't love his show and his dedication to music. This is no venture. People should check the shows out. Why should I preach about my donations to public radio? Thank you Ms. Healy.

carleen said...

You shouldn't be so modest. (joint venture= music + iowa) I was complimenting you, silly. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Nick -
Beans! What about the beans? You leave a tease and... no beans!
Carleen -
You are now imprinted in my brain as the regal vision of the modern world revolution! I love it!!!
Aren't you two just the best possible pair?
XXOO,
Mother Theresa