Sunday, February 12, 2012

Besides having extreme anxiety about the real likelihood that I'll be returning to work in 2 weeks, which I'll get to in a separate post, this was a week of changes, (aren't they all?), but especially for my dear husband.  Beard be gone for one, but also he decided to do some drama to his looks. 

Enter handsome teacher, just home from a long day.  Isn't his hair great? Who wouldn't want this guy to teach their kids? 

Out comes the clippers and the crazy eyes, away go the luscious locks. 

He has the same smile, and how he and Nolan are matchy!  
While we could probably attribute this shift in appearance to a lot of things, Nick shaved his head to the skin (and re-did it yesterday) as an act of solidarity for his father, who is going through chemotherapy.   When his grandmother lost her hair in chemo, he did the same thing.  I think he's feeling like a physical change might help him understand it a all little more.  When someone you love is sick, and far away there are really just a few things that you can do to feel like you're carrying some of it for them, not that you ever really can, but the little things are comforting.

I offered to do the same and he told me to keep my hair for now.  

And here we have a lesson in perspective. 

Little baby, quietly occupying the corner of the couch, listening to some tunes on the laptop. 

Big boy, chilling, scoping out the scene. 

Man in charge, gangsta, watch out. :)

Sure daddy, you can hold up my head for me anytime.  


I'll just take a little snooze as long as you don't move a muscle. 

You moved, I'm awake now.  Oh well. You can still hold up my head. 

Love my family. 


This week Nick texted me from work about the Iowa v. Northwestern basketball game.  The text alerted me to the game, but also that it was expected that his family would be in Hawkeye gear for the event.  I took him seriously and Nolan was ready to go when he got home, I am indulging him in this only because I don't have any alliances to sports teams (other than maybe Xavier basketball), but also because Nick breathes Iowa (I am sure this is not new information for anyone reading).  And Nolan looks cute in anything we put on him, so it wasn't too hard.

Getting ready to watch some basketball with Daddy!  Our awesome midwife Casey gave us this baby sweatshirt that her kids had outgrown, it seriously made Nick's week when he saw this little guy dressed in black and gold (thanks Casey!!!)

It suits him pretty well, and thankfully, he has plenty of room to grow into it. 

This is a daily look for us, hanging out, walking around the apartment, looking outside at the freezing cold, but sunny day. 

Here is my boy, hanging in his new sling.  He's not sure if he loves it yet, but we are getting acquainted.  It's awesome to be able to slip him in, and be hands free without all the wrapping of the Moby.  Though, the Moby wrap distributes the weight really well and the sling puts most of it over one shoulder.  I'm still pleased with the purchase. 

Last night we had a family outing for delicious dinner with friends Paul, Kristina, and Gus.  It makes me feel like a person again to be doing some small social outings, and Nolan is getting increasingly less angry about being in the carseat, I foresee good things with this change.

The boys are grinning at each other, BFF (or rather, Nolan is grinning at Kristina, and Gus is checking out Nick- same difference right?)

More grinning. 

A blurry, but adorably happy Gus with mom and dad and bunny ears. It was a really fun night! 

And here we are in our current state, (yes, I am wearing my 6th grade t-shirt, with all of my co- 12 year olds signatures).
Awake, alert, cute, cozy, hands are delicious and amazing. 

Out, and still sleeping right now. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the pictures! Thanks for the variety of cuteness represented (although Nick's head may not fall under that category) - great to see Nolan although we are far away. XO, Aunt Peg

Anonymous said...

Awwww! This is one mighty cute family. Nick and Nolan are starting to look alike. (Hey Nick, are the rolls on your wrists coming back?) Carleen, you are one proud Mama! (Rightly so.)
Love the laughter and smiles!
XXOO,
Grandma TT