Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Grutz says, "Back in the saddle again. By saddle, I mean Chicago." or "No, It's a 'Right Now' coat!"

Greetings one and all. I have been neglectful. I have been doing stuff. Lord oh lord. But now I can spill the beans. We're back in Chicago, specifically the Pilsen neighborhood. I'll get to that shortly, but first, some recap from our trip out west.

Arches National Park





Yes, some of the many arches in, um, Arches National Park.
During and after our travels Carleen and I discussed all that had happened to anyone and everyone. I found myself again and again saying more or less the same things over. Arches, too, was part of this continuous description. Out west, in the arid regions, things we're both drastically different and yet somewhat the same. Ok, ok, I sound like a moron, but Arches truly was different from Zion and Joshua Tree, but there were elements that we're so profoundly similar. The sky, the dryness, the lack of vegetation (ok compared to Iowa, the lack of vegetation). Stone and sand, wind and glare.
"Seriously, Carleen! Put down the damn camera and give me a hand! Christ!"

Everyone asks us what was our favorite park. Speaking for myself, honestly, I loved them all. Each Park and Monument so interesting and special in its own right. Yet, if I truly must pick a place, it would have to be (oh this is so hard)....Joshua Tree. Sparse and beautiful. Not boastful or majestic, but intricately detailed and minutely gorgeous.

More to follow, now to Pilsen!

Pilsen, home to the heart of the Latino Community of Chicago and a refuge for hipsters and artists. We live with Bobby Redwood, a med student, searching for the right residency program. We found him on Craigslist and has been a great roommate. Along with Rusty, the uber-dog. Pictures included later once I find the camera. It's quite a treat to step out our door and see, hear, and smell such a diverse community. The murals and Aztec discs. Spanish, mexican music, Croatian mass, the trains. Two tortilla plants (within two blocks!) bbq honky tonk, mexican cuisine. Sensory overload.
Aztec Sun art inlaid in the sidewalks of Pilsen.

Mural found at the end of the block, along the tracks, in Pilsen. (And no, it has not snowed here, I found the photo online, smartguy).
Smoked brisket? Yes, please! Around the corner from us in Pilsen.
Aside from the occasional (ok, one) moody drunk latino bemoaning how we're stealing the neighborhood (boo hoo gentrification!) the neighborhood has been amazing. It's very exciting and there seems to be a buzz. And that buzzing is the iphones in the hands of the hipsters. Boy oh boy, and I thought Logan Square had the masses of tight-jeaned youth! I've no problem with 'em. It's starting to get cold, so many disappear. I still think, like all social groups, they're kind of funny and worthy of any mockery. Anyway, I just saw this movie and supposedly(wink) they're going to film the sequel right here in Pilsen. Look out hipsters. Charles Bronson.


I'll continue later with more odds'n'ends from the trip, what I'm doing with my time now that Carleen is working for the man (boooo CPS booooo, hisssss), and more about Chicago. Oh, and what I'm thankful for. (Happy Sigh).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to be in the same city as you guys again (if only briefly). Beer soon. - Emmanuel

carleen said...

Can't wait to see you guys. Thanks for reading our blog!

afx said...

"And when you least expect it, Jeff Goldblum" LOL

That is by far the coolest manhole cover, heck coolest piece of metal I've ever seen.

Great getting an update, consider my day made.