Sunday, January 30, 2011

And yes, we are happy.


I am not sure how to feel:  it's Sunday night in Pilsen and the only place that has free WIFI is McDonalds.  I think I'm simultaneously embarrassed and thankful.  This is the homeless and cold warm up place, also the family eatery, and the table is sticky.  But I am truly glad to get my fill of the interweb, and to catch up on unpaid bills.  Who would have thought that not having consistent wireless at the apartment would put me at such a loss.

Oh life is such a process, and this week was no exception.  We are slowly acclimating to having some stability and certainty in our lives, and yet we regularly still long for the road.  School is great.  I am surrounded by amazing, positive coworkers and children that need me, and I am constantly learning and engaging with enhancing my skills as an educator.  It's really nice.  I've gotten to engage with my physical body as well, it's such a treat to take class, and this week I took from both Molly Shanahan and Kristina Fluty, who collectively equal two of my favorite people and movers.  And today I finished my week off with some jamming at the Chicago Contact Improv Jam, it's always so so good to spend time in the sacred space that is Links Hall, and to let my kinks be rolled and pounded out, all the while honing my dance listening skills.

This week I've actively begun my Spanish learning attempt using the Living Language method, courtesy of Chicago Public Library. With practice the cds will be helpful, but I'm thinking that in order to really get it, I will definitely require a trip to Mexico or Central America very soon.  Especially when it's miserable here in Chicago and we can't take the cold anymore.  Of course, it would be solely for Spanish practice, which is required for my job, so I could write the entire trip off of our taxes, right?  I think so.

This looks like a place where I could really practice my Spanish. :)
This week, Nick has been hard at work being a house husband.  And I am completely content with it.

This is a corner view of the bed Nick made for us.  It still is calling for a coat of paint, but for now it's perfect! 

My crafty husband also fashioned a bead chandelier to spice up a lacking light fixture.  It doesn't really filter the light through the colors, but it does create great dappled light and shadow in the room. 


"Um, dear, why are you photographing me?  I am right in the middle of building a desk for YOU."


And now for you curious folks, here are a few requisite photos of the new place. 


Preliminary shot of the kitchen...


Check out our sunny bathroom.  We picked up a yellow shower curtain and a yellow print mat yesterday.  It really helps the mood in the early mornings!


And here's the guy himself, goofy as ever.  And yes, we are happy.


Parting words:

Thanks Jill! This is something to live by. 
And now that I am sufficiently fried, and craving Big Macs (j/k) I think I have satiated my internetting needs for now.  Till next time... 

1 comment:

afx said...

Damn girl, what a kitchen! That chandelier and island is sick. Nick I'm impressed (though not surprised) that furniture is looking solid. Way to rock out the house husbandry :)