Friday, October 22, 2010

San Francisco palms, houses, and dreams.

Thursday October 21, 2010
Palms in the city. 

San Francisco felt like the city of broken dreams to me.  If the mutual existence of brokenness and possibility were a color, it would be the paisley of uniquely San Francisco coastal colors.  


Enjoying a coffee and view. 

I loved the nestled houses and the bustling artsy energy, but could not get past the masses of street kids and street people that seemed to materialize everywhere. 

I took two really great and inspiring dance classes, which encouraged me to do some smart city walking and figuring on my own.  I danced with Kathleen Hermesdorf at ODC, and Sara Shelton Mann at the Yoga Loft; really different but equally thoughtful classes.  There was a little overlap in approach, and I was glad to have the familiarity of the first class when I began the second.  My aunt Tina, who knows the dance scene a little bit remembered when Sara was doing avante garde work in San Francisco years ago, making a nice connection for me.  Both classes were exercises in integrating energy into movement, Kathleen’s was tied to technique and Sara’s to improvisation.  I left San Francisco feeling physically sore and a little emotionally drained, but good.  I can’t avoid being saddened by the huge and visible gulf between the poor, apathetic street kids, and the rest of the population, who seem unaffected by the blatant pain.  But, I loved San Francisco, the energy of the city fit me like a puzzle, but it was hard to be there.  I found myself feeling like I could definitely live there. Being near the ocean is magic.   

It helped that we were staying with my aunt Maureen and uncle Greg, who have the most beautiful home.  We also did a great 7 mile walk through Golden Gate Park and along Haight street, and now, as I import our photos I realize that was a terrible documenter, or, most of our photos have mysteriously disappeared. 
We were lucky to be considered family, because we also got to visit their home in Napa, another great retreat, and so neat to see vineyards, I didn’t go wine tasting, which seems like a terrible mistake.  But we did get to walk all of downtown Napa, had great Greek food of all things, and later had a great dinner with Maureen.  I don’t remember the wine I had, but I found the waiters description to be hilarious- “buttery and round fruity notes,” and it was!  I loved the buttery-ness (who doesn’t love butter?)  It was delicious and luxurious to have a glass of wine in Napa! 

Beautiful Napa view before dinner. 

Goodbye rainy city. 


Right now we are driving down the coast towards Ojai and the sun is setting.  We’re on Route 1, and just passing Monterey, the sleepy sun is still poking through the mottled clouds.  The sky’s not red or pink, but the color of the ocean in light.  Grey blue and light orange striations, this sunset is peaceful and slow, no fireworks but it seems to match the color of the horizon perfectly.  
Now the full moon is up, hovering above us and lighting the way.  I’m glad to be on the road. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi darls, SF makes me curious. I'm looking for another whole lifetime to see it all. Painting makes my weekend step outside of time. Larry's bd Friday, art Saturday and early Sun am in the kitchen, different church with amazing harmonies and strange priest, French park was the most beautiful ever; 78 degrees and amazing colors and light. Am not in a rush for weeks to pass anymore, enjoying moments more. Missed talking with you...

Anonymous said...

Did you throw a kiss toward Monterey for me?
Mom/TG

carleen said...

Thanks MOMS for these comments. You guys are our faithful readers. Thank you and miss you!